Saturday 7 May 2011

The Checklist Manifesto, by Atul Gawande

The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things RightThis is a great book. Primarily designed to provide compelling reasons for creating and abiding by checklists, especially in the field of medicine, the author manages to turn a non-fiction book into a literary gem.

What I liked about the book? The way Atul Gwande held my hand and took me behind the scenes in areas I would never normally venture - construction sites, for example - to demonstrate how other industries deliver complex projects in a safe and efficient manner. The way he managed to create a page-turning book. The way he kept me reading to the end.

What I didn't like about the book? Maybe it would benefit from a crib list of simple rules for creating checklists? This book was more about persuading you to accept the importance and /or value of the actual concept of a checklist. If you want to create your own, you may need more guidance than this book offers.

1 comment:

  1. Love my lists. As you probably know. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete